We are officially in November, that means less than 60 days until the end of the year. Man did this year go by fast. I cannot believe that I relaunched Blog Me Lovely just 5 months ago. I am amazed at what I have achieved in that time.
I have big plans for next year and will be using these next two months to plan and get my processes in place. But for now, here is my blog traffic report for October.
Blog Me Lovely originally launched in March 2015. I was not that active nor did I put much focus on the blog and growing it. So my highest traffic month between March 2015 and September 2015 was only about 300 pageviews, with an average of about 175 pageviews a month. In October I took a step back to focus on Peace Love Sequins so it is no surprise that my traffic plummeted!
I am sharing this because when I re-launched the blog in June 2016, I was basically receiving only 15 to 20 pageviews a month, essentially starting from scratch. I am going to share with you my traffic stats, social media counts, post overview, what I learned and my goals for the upcoming month.
October 2016 Traffic Report
- Pageviews: 3,975 (-8.81%)
- Sessions: 2,944 (-24.57%)
- Users: 1,678 (-0.89%)
- Pages / Session: 1.35 (+20.54%)
- Average Session Duration: 03:54 (+30.73%)
- Bounce Rate: 11.75% (-0.76%)
- New Sessions: 46.13% (+30.27%)
- Highest Traffic Day: October 4 with 345 pageviews
I saw a drop in traffic this month because my posting dropped even more (if that is even possible) and I was less active in Facebook groups. Even with the drop in traffic, I am still very happy because my pages/session and average session duration increased. So while I received less traffic, I had higher engagement. I also received one of my highest traffic days, just 4 pageviews short from my record day.
October Traffic Sources
- Social: 88.01%
- Facebook: 71.86%
- Pinterest: 20.76%
- Twitter: 5.63%
- StumbleUpon: 1.47%
- Instagram: 0.23%
- Google+: 0.04%
- Direct: 9.85%
- Organic Search: 1.22%
- Referral: 0.92%
I am a little disappointed that my referral dropped, but I am thrilled to say that my organic search percentage almost doubled (I know, I know 1.22% is nothing, but it is growing) and my direct traffic increased as well. I am working toward a well-rounded source of traffic. I don’t want my whole traffic source being dependent on social media because if a site goes down or something like that then I will lose a majority of my traffic.
The same goes for the social media breakdown. Facebook is by far my biggest referrer but I want that to spread out more evenly.
Social Media Report
October Social Media Stats
- Facebook: 581 fans (+9.62%)
- Twitter: 406 followers (+23.03%)
- Pinterest: 467 followers (+20.98%)
- Instagram: 1,004 followers (+1.11%)
- Bloglovin’: 114 followers (+11.76%)
- Google+: 44 followers (+29.41%)
- Email Subscribers: 180 subscribers (+37.40%)
I saw growth on all social platforms this month, which I am actually surprised because I was not that active (besides Pinterest which I have pretty automated). I am also happy that my email list is continuing to grow. It did not see as big of a jump as last month, but my conversion rate is actually a tad better. So it is still a win in my book.
Blog Post Report
- Number of New Posts: 1
- Total Posts: 32 (with the post I published on November 1st)
- Post Frequency: Once a month
Top Five Posts
- The 7 Secrets to a Cohesive Social Media Presence
- Blog Traffic Report – September 2016
- Questions to Ask When Creating a Blog Content Strategy – on the list last month
- How to Increase Likes on Your Facebook Page – on the list last month
- How to Start a Blog
October Goals – Check In
- Redesign how the Click to Tweet looks so they stand out more. – I still need to do this. It won’t take too long so I am not sure why I procrastinated.
- Add 2 more content upgrades – I realized right now that I don’t necessarily need more things, I am going to focus on the quality rather than the quantity.
Add pages for my branding service, custom WordPress design and development serivce, and general graphic/web design services. While the pages are not up yet, if you are interested you can always connect with me through email at email@example.com.– Making my sales pages live was one of the scariest things I have done! I am so glad they are up (besides the general design services).
- Traffic Goals – definitely did not reach but that is totally okay
- Reach 7,500 pageviews
- Reach 5,000 sessions
- Reach 2,500 users
- Social Media Goals
- Reach 600 Facebook fans – so close to this!
- Reach 450 Twitter followers – saw an increase but was about 50 followers shy
- Reach 500 Pinterest followers – so close!
- Reach 1150 Instagram followers – I barely grew my Instagram following this month, but at least it didn’t drop
- Reach 300 email subscribers (I want to double my list!) – I did not reach this, but my conversion rate did increase a bit
- Post at least once a week – major FAIL
Get better at scheduling social media content through Hootsuite (for Twitter, Instagram and Google+) and BoardBooster and Tailwind (for Pinterest)– Pinterest was a win, the others not so much
- Create a social media strategy for Blog Me Lovely – it is in the works so I am going to mark this half-complete
- Rewrite my About Page – still need to get this done
- Get my Resources Page up – working on this one
What I Learned
- I need/want to get better at time management and planning. I had client work this month that took up a good chunk of my free time plus I was traveling for my day job and that totally wiped me out. Creating and keeping a schedule will help me be more efficient and not get overwhelmed.
- It is okay that I did not get everything done that I planned. Moving forward I am going to take into account any plans I have (personal and work-related) that will impact my work time and schedule in self-care and relaxation time. Having a more manageable list will allow me to know where I should focus my time rather than having a list that I could never get done and get overwhelmed.
- It isn’t all about the numbers. This I already knew, but it is always a nice reminder. This month my pageviews, sessions and users went down on my website but my engagement increased. I would rather have a smaller, engaged audience than a large, not engaged audience.
- While I got my sales page up, I have decided that I am going to switch to hourly packages. So please contact me if you are interested in social media image design, Facebook cover design, content upgrade design, etc. at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Redesign how the Click to Tweet looks
- Refresh the branding for Blog Me Lovely and add a static homepage
- Traffic Goals
- Reach 5,500 pageviews
- Reach 3,500 sessions
- Reach 2,000 users
- Social Media Goals
- Reach 650 Facebook fans
- Reach 500 Twitter followers
- Reach 550 Pinterest followers
- Reach 1,100 Instagram followers
- Reach 250 email subscribers
- Post once a week
- Create email welcome sequence (I have already started this)
- Rewrite my About page
- Get my Resources page up (I have already started this)
I always expect too much from myself. I set unrealistic goals and I am sure you can relate.
Since creating my lifestyle business is one of my top priorities, I feel like I have to constantly achieve milestone after milestone. I am learning that I need to cut myself some slack. I am making things happen in my business rather than waiting for perfection. That is the most important thing.
I know that if I keep up the hard work and focus on serving my audience that I will achieve my goal sooner or later!You move your business forward with action not perfection. Focus on making things happen today! Click To Tweet
What are your blogging goals this month?