I am still in awe that it is already December and we have less than 30 days until the new year! I have started this month traveling quite a bit for my day job. I have been in Atlanta, Raleigh and Austin all within 6 days and man am I exhausted!
It was a nice little break from blogging and gave me time to work on some courses and reflect on what I have done this year and what I want to accomplish next year with my blog and business. I have realized that I need to spend more time reflecting and planning before next year.
These traffic reports are great because they give me a quick snapshot of what happened on my blog the previous month and help me map out my priorities. Though I must admit I need to start making a shorter list each month!
Blog Me Lovely originally launched in March 2015. I was not that active nor did I put much focus on the blog and growing it. So my highest traffic month between March 2015 and September 2015 was only about 300 pageviews, with an average of about 175 pageviews a month. In October I took a step back to focus on Peace Love Sequins so it is no surprise that my traffic plummeted!
I am sharing this because when I re-launched the blog in June 2016, I was basically receiving only 15 to 20 pageviews a month, essentially starting from scratch. I am going to share with you my traffic stats, social media counts, post overview, what I learned and my goals for the upcoming month.
November 2016 Traffic Report
- Pageviews: 2,905 (-26.92%)
- Sessions: 2,199 (-25.31%)
- Users: 1,390 (-17.16%)
- Pages / Session: 1.32 (-2.22%)
- Average Session Duration: 04:08 (+5.98%)
- Bounce Rate: 11.46% (-2.47%)
- New Sessions: 51.02% (+10.60%)
- Highest Traffic Day: November 2 with 342 pageviews
So when I logged into my Google Analytics, I was so excited when I saw that I broke 4,450 pageviews! You might be wondering why that doesn’t match the numbers above. Well, it turns out a SPAM bot affected my site on November 30th and even into the first two days of December (so that traffic report will be adjusted as well).
I ended up excluding all of that traffic to give you (and myself) a more accurate picture of what happened on Blog Me Lovely last month. Yes, I am sad that my pageviews dropped so drastically, but it is important to remember that SPAM bots do you absolutely no good. It is like fake followers on Instagram, giving you a higher follower count. Kinda like a vanity metric.
November Traffic Sources
- Social: 84.31%
- Facebook: 70.39%
- Pinterest: 25.30%
- Twitter: 2.05%
- StumbleUpon: 1.83%
- Instagram: 0.38%
- Google+: 0.05%
- Direct: 10.23%
- Organic Search: 2.18%
- Referral: 3.27%
I am very happy with the distribution of traffic! My social decreased a little and direct, organic and referral traffic all increased! I am working toward getting a more distributed traffic source. Right now if all of the social media channels went down (very unlikely, but possible) or even if just Facebook went down, the majority of my traffic would disappear. That is not a good place to be.
Social Media Report
November Social Media Stats
- Facebook: 614 fans (+5.68%)
- Twitter: 481 followers (+18.47%)
- Pinterest: 617 followers (+32.12%)
- Instagram: 1,052 followers (+4.78%)
- Bloglovin’: 116 followers (+1.75%)
- Google+: 44 followers (0%)
- Email Subscribers: 205 subscribers (+13.89%)
I saw huge growth on Pinterest and significant growth on Facebook and Twitter. I should add that I hired Collectively Bee to handle my Facebook and Twitter posting. So happy with Brittany so far! I had the pleasure of creating her social media templates and now I get to work with her as her client! I also saw an increase in my email subscribers, unfortunately, my overall conversion rate went down so that is something I need to look into.
Blog Post Report
- Number of New Posts: 4
- Total Posts: 35
- Post Frequency: Once a week
Top Five Posts
- Stop Chasing Money with Your Blog – 9 Reasons You Should Not Use Ads
- Questions to Ask When Creating a Blog Content Strategy – on the list last two months
- How to Create Custom Tab Images for Your Facebook Page
- Blog Traffic Report – October 2016
- How to Find Your Most Popular Posts in Google Analytics
November Goals – Check In
Redesign how the Click to Tweet looks– I have decided that right now, I am fine with the look of them and am not going to redesign Refresh the branding for Blog Me Lovely and add a static homepage– DONE, I am so happy with how it turned out! I have a few minor changes and pages to finish but very happy.
- Traffic Goals – miss on all but I am okay with that
- Reach 5,500 pageviews
- Reach 3,500 sessions
- Reach 2,000 users
- Social Media Goals
- Reach 650 Facebook fans – I broke 600 fans but didn’t quite reach this goal
- Reach 500 Twitter followers – I am pretty close to this
Reach 550 Pinterest followers– I exceeded this goal by over 50 followers!
- Reach 1,100 Instagram followers – not quite there but did see an increase
- Reach 250 email subscribers – I didn’t make this but I did break 200!
Post once a week– I actually did this with 4 posts this month!
- Create email welcome sequence (I have already started this) – This one got missed again this month
- Rewrite my About page – Okay, okay, this one will seriously get done this month
- Get my Resources page up (I have already started this) – Almost done with this!
What I Learned
- The static homepage with a focus on my services and portfolio makes me treat my blog more like the business I intend it to be.
- I am still at a point where promotion is crucial! I did not participate actively in Facebook groups and did not actively promote my blog this month. I was more in update mode. While I did sustain a decide amount of traffic, I still rely heavily on active participation and promotion.
- Planning and automation will be key for 2017!
- I didn’t finish updating my sales pages, so that is on the list this month. So please contact me if you are interested in social media image design, Facebook cover design, content upgrade design, etc. at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Traffic Goals
- Reach 3,500 pageviews
- Reach 2,750 sessions
- Reach 1,500 users
- Social Media Goals
- Reach 675 Facebook fans
- Reach 525 Twitter followers
- Reach 700 Pinterest followers
- Reach 1,100 Instagram followers
- Reach 250 email subscribers
- Post once a week
- Create email welcome sequence (I have already started this)
- Rewrite my About page
- Get my Resources page up (I have already started this)
Updating my website was a huge win for me. I still need to finish sales pages and main content pages but my blog is starting to feel like a business.
I am also realizing that more pageviews doesn’t always result in more clients. While I had less pageviews, I did have a client and some client referrals. So while I saw a drop, it was still a very successful month!You move your business forward with action not perfection. Plan for action in 2017! Click To Tweet
What are your blogging goals this month?