March was a record month for me and my business. It was my first month being self-employed and I brought in almost as much income from my business as I had in the past 6 months. I seriously cannot believe it! I think it just shows that I made the right decision by quitting my job.
I wanted to share that not to brag (because trust me it hasn’t replaced my 9-5 income yet) but to show you what is possible when you actually have the time to focus on your business! I am still getting into a routine and some days I sleep in until 10 am but I have been spending significantly more time building and growing my business than I did in the past.
So now onto my March blog traffic report. I am seriously in awe that it is already April. We are in Q2 y’all! Where does the time go?
Blog Me Lovely originally launched in March 2015. I was not that active nor did I put much focus on the blog and growing it. So my highest traffic month between March 2015 and September 2015 was only about 300 pageviews, with an average of about 175 pageviews a month. In October I took a step back to focus on Peace Love Sequins so it is no surprise that my traffic plummeted!
I am sharing this because when I re-launched the blog in June 2016, I was basically receiving only 15 to 20 pageviews a month, essentially starting from scratch. I am going to share with you my traffic stats, social media counts, post overview, what I learned and my goals for the upcoming month.
March 2017 Traffic Report
- Pageviews: 2,916 (+1.46%)
- Sessions: 2,091 (+7.34%)
- Users: 1,438 (-4.39%)
- Pages / Session: 1.39 (-6.08%)
- Average Session Duration: 4:37 (+40.61%)
- Adjusted Bounce Rate: 12.39% (-60.69%)
- New Sessions: 61.12% (-3.05%)
- Highest Traffic Day: March 20 with 267 pageviews
I am happy that my numbers didn’t take a HUGE dive in March as I didn’t blog (or promote) as much as I had originally planned. They have stayed pretty steady without much work which is fantastic because that means I have laid a solid foundation. But let’s see if I can get these numbers on the rise again in April.
March Traffic Sources
- Social: 78.90%
- Facebook: 56.61%
- Pinterest: 30.48%
- StumbleUpon: 7.64%
- Twitter: 5.03%
- Digg: 0.12%
- Instagram: 0.12%
- Referral: 1.70%
- Direct: 16.00%
- Organic Search: 3.40%
Surprise, surprise. Social media is my top traffic referrer. I am still working on how I can get a bit more even spread though. At least my organic has gone up a bit, I am going to be working on more SEO tactics this quarter.
My Pinterest traffic seems to be staying pretty steady which I am very happy about. I did work on my Pinterest strategy mid-March so I can’t wait to see my efforts start taking effect. I know Pinterest is a major traffic driver for most bloggers and business owners, so it is something I plan on being more intentional with.
Social Media Report
March Social Media Stats
- Facebook: 717 fans (+4.98%)
- Facebook Group (The Lovely Entrepreneur Society): 156 members
- Twitter: 1,711 followers (-0.58%)
- Pinterest: 847 followers (+4.70%)
- Instagram: 996 followers (-1.87%)
- Bloglovin’: 135 followers (+3.05%)
- Google+: 52 followers (0%)
- Email Subscribers: 644 subscribers (+139.41%)
I LOVE seeing growth in pretty much all of my social channels. While Twitter and Instagram dropped a little, they were both pretty small and nothing I am too worried about. I also launched a Facebook group called The Lovely Entrepreneur Society!
My biggest win was my email subscribers. I more than doubled my list in March. I partnered with 9 other AMAZING women to offer a bundle of too-good-to-be-free goodies. My Ultimate List of Facebook Groups Bundle was what I included in the bundle. I hope you were able to snag it for free because it was the only time I will be giving it away. But at $25 it is still a steal!
Blog Post Report
- Number of New Posts: 2
- Total Posts: 50
- Post Frequency: About once every other week
Top Five Posts
- 10 Surprising Ways to Repurpose Your Amazing Blog Posts
- How to Increase Likes on Your Facebook Page (on the list the last two months)
- 10 Beautiful Script Fonts That Will Make Stunning Graphics (on the list last month)
- Why I Started with ConvertKit for My Email Marketing Platform
- 25 Maddening Blog Design Mistakes for You to Avoid
March Goals – Check In
- Traffic Goals – did not reach any of these but I am okay with it. Even though my traffic really did not increase, I still landed a few clients and made almost as much income as I did in the past 6 months of my business. So still a win for me!
- Reach 5,000 pageviews
- Reach 3,000 sessions
- Reach 2,000 users
- Social Media Goals
- Reach 725 Facebook fans – SOOOOOOO close!
- Reach 1,850 Twitter followers – I actually lost a few followers since I stopped using Narrow.io.
- Reach 900 Pinterest followers – I saw some growth but not quite there.
- Reach 1,100 Instagram followers – Unfortunately, I am back under 1,000 followers. Guess it is time to step up my Instagram game!
Reach 350 email subscribers– Totally nailed this one thanks to the awesome collaboration I was a part of!
- Post at least twice a week – I posted twice a month, I decided to focus on things I had been putting off rather than blog.
Finish my sales pages for Website Maintenance Services– I completed it and it is officially live here. I am currently available for work too!
- Set up another funnel – I ended up canceling ClickFunnels (even though I loved it because financially it isn’t the best decision right now). So I moved my current funnel back to my website and haven’t created another one yet.
Keep up with B-School– I am pretty much keeping up! The past two weeks were primarily review since they revolved around websites and blogging. It was a nice reminder of how much I *actually* know on those subjects. So be ready because I am going to be launching content strategy sessions and blog/brand audits! Keep up with Be True Brand You– I am a little behind (even though there is no such thing as behind in BTBY) but I have done all the work relevant to where I am at in my business. I am so thankful I get lifetime access!
What I Learned
- Pageviews AREN’T everything! I had my most profitable month in 6 months and it was not related to my pageviews! I got clients from Facebook groups and even more importantly – referrals! That just shows that my previous clients are hapy with my work and will happily refer me. I still plan on blogging though because it is great for SEO and it provides me an opportunity to share my knowledge with a wider audience.
- It is important to work on the things that will move your business forward. I mean you need to make money in order to have a business right? So that meant that I finished another sales page, started working on my third one, worked on my Pinterest stategy, and even launched a Facebook group called The Lovely Entrepreneur Society. It is a group for female online entrepreneurs to connect, ask questions, lend support and just hang out! A place where you will learn how to elevate your business, find your tribe of sisters, and get support + encouragement on this crazy journey called entrepreneurship! So I would love to see you in there!
- Setting a solid foundation is key to keep a steady traffic level. So don’t skip this step!
- Traffic Goals
- Reach 4,000 pageviews
- Reach 2,750 sessions
- Reach 1,750 users
- Social Media Goals
- Reach 750 Facebook fans
- Reach 300 Facebook Group (The Lovely Entrepreneur Society) members
- Reach 1,750 Twitter followers
- Reach 900 Pinterest followers
- Reach 1,050 Instagram followers
- Reach 750 email subscribers
- Post at least twice a week
- Finish sales page for Blog Content Strategy Sessions
- Write welcome email sequence
- Complete B-School
- Complete Be True Brand You
The important part of growing a business is your strategy. There needs to be a strategy for everything you do. This is especially more important when you are working a 9-5 job and you don’t have as much time to work on your business.
However, don’t strive for perfection. Nothing is ever going to be perfect to you. And I will bet that others probably won’t even notice the small things that you notice!
Just strive for progress. Keep moving forward and your blog and business will continue to grow!
What is one goal you have for April? Let me know in the comments below.