Happy New Year! I cannot believe it is officially 2017! This past year seriously flew by but I am excited for a fresh start. Excited for a new year full of fresh possibilities.
But before I start sharing goal posts, I think it is important to take a look back at 2016. I will admit that I did not plan that well for December and my traffic numbers show that. But the holidays is a time for family and I ended up getting this really awful bug that lasted a little over two weeks! I think I am finally starting to feel like myself.
With the holidays, I expected to see a drop in my traffic numbers. Lets see how Blog Me Lovely did in December.
Blog Me Lovely originally launched in March 2015. I was not that active nor did I put much focus on the blog and growing it. So my highest traffic month between March 2015 and September 2015 was only about 300 pageviews, with an average of about 175 pageviews a month. In October I took a step back to focus on Peace Love Sequins so it is no surprise that my traffic plummeted!
I am sharing this because when I re-launched the blog in June 2016, I was basically receiving only 15 to 20 pageviews a month, essentially starting from scratch. I am going to share with you my traffic stats, social media counts, post overview, what I learned and my goals for the upcoming month.
December 2016 Traffic Report
- Pageviews: 1,964 (-32.39%)
- Sessions: 1,451 (-34.02%)
- Users: 1,016 (-26.91%)
- Pages / Session: SPAM messed with this
- Average Session Duration: SPAM messed with this
- Bounce Rate: SPAM messed with this
- New Sessions: SPAM messed with this
- Highest Traffic Day: December 20 with 207 pageviews
I received so much SPAM traffic this month. I was able to manually calculate it out from my pageviews, sessions and users, but it was too much trouble to try and figure out the others. See I had 4 different sources sending me SPAM, so my numbers looked great until I realized that it was almost all SPAM. What you see above is my real traffic, with the bot traffic removed. I have created filters so hopefully this won’t happen in January.
December Traffic Sources
- Social: 78.98%
- Facebook: 49.74%
- Pinterest: 33.16%
- StumbleUpon: 13.61%
- Twitter: 3.23%
- Instagram: 0.17%
- Pocket: 0.09%
- Direct: 16.20%
- Organic Search: 2.00%
- Referral: 2.83%
I am very happy with the increase in my Pinterest traffic. I have not been doing too much with Pinterest lately, so seeing this increase means that I must have had a solid foundation. I hope to build on this. Seeing a bigger diversity in my social traffic is what I am going for. I still have quite a ways to go. I want to increase Twitter a bit as well. The good news is that while StumbleUpon increased, that traffic had an average time on page of over a minute! So it was just traffic that immediately bounced.
Social Media Report
December Social Media Stats
- Facebook: 627 fans (+2.12%)
- Twitter: 489 followers (+1.66%)
- Pinterest: 702 followers (+13.78%)
- Instagram: 992 followers (-5.70%)
- Bloglovin’: 116 followers (0%)
- Google+: 44 followers (0%)
- Email Subscribers: 232 subscribers (+13.17%)
Despite not doing much on Pinterest, that is the platform I saw the most growth, both follower-wise and traffic share-wise. I also saw a small increase for both Facebook and Twitter.
I am happy that my email list has continued to grow. It is pretty steady right now, growing at a little over 13% a month. I would love to increase that. However, my conversion rate over all increased from 1.80% to 2.66%!
Blog Post Report
- Number of New Posts: 4
- Total Posts: 39
- Post Frequency: Once a week
Top Five Posts
- Reflecting on My 2016 Word of the Year – Persevere
- Blog Traffic Report – November 2016
- 3 Lessons I Learned About Blogging from Harry Potter and The Sorcerer’s Stone
- 5 Must Listen to Podcasts for Bloggers
- How to Increase Likes on Your Facebook Page
December Goals – Check In
- Traffic Goals – I was over ambitious with the holidays, miss on all
- Reach 3,500 pageviews
- Reach 2,750 sessions
- Reach 1,500 users
- Social Media Goals
- Reach 675 Facebook fans – not quite, but I did see an increase
- Reach 525 Twitter followers – haven’t broke 500 yet, but it is increasing
Reach 700 Pinterest followers– hit this goal two months in a row!
- Reach 1,100 Instagram followers – I saw a decline this month, but I have finally started to post again
- Reach 250 email subscribers – Not quite, but I did see a 13% increase!
Post once a week– Check!
- Create email welcome sequence (I have already started this) – This one got missed again this month
- Rewrite my About page – This is in the works
- Get my Resources page up (I have already started this) – Almost done with this!
What I Learned
- Never underestimate the time the holidays will take up! Things didn’t go as planned – I got sick, we left earlier than expected, stayed later than expected, were just not a prepared as we thought. This year I am going to need to start planning way ahead of time to account with the unexpected!
- Laying a solid foundation on social media is crucial. I am seeing that with Pinterest. Earlier this year I was spending quite a bit of time on it (and I still have some work to do) but the solid foundation is allowing the platform to grow my followers and traffic to my website without much work at all!
- Always look for SPAM traffic in your Google Analytics. While the bigger numbers feel and look great, they are not serving you. That is why I shared adjusted numbers, so you could see my actual traffic.
- I still haven’t finished updating my sales pages, but I definitely available for hire. So please contact me if you are interested in social media image design, Facebook cover design, content upgrade design, etc. at email@example.com.
- Traffic Goals
- Reach 3,000 pageviews
- Reach 2,000 sessions
- Reach 1,500 users
- Social Media Goals
- Reach 675 Facebook fans
- Reach 525 Twitter followers
- Reach 800 Pinterest followers
- Reach 1,050 Instagram followers
- Reach 275 email subscribers
- Post at least once a week
- Finish my email welcome sequence (I have already started this)
- Rewrite my About page
- Get my Resources page up (I have already started this)
Preparation and planning is key. If I would have planned and pre-wrote blog posts and just managed my time better, then I would have accomplished more of my goals for the month. I am pledging to just stop procrastinating and get shit done in 2017.Didn't reach your traffic goals in December? That's okay. 2017 is a new year with new potential! Click To Tweet
What are your blogging goals this month?