January is officially over. I cannot believe how fast this year is going by. I hope you are starting the year off right and are already crushing your goals!
I cannot believe how much I have done in the past 31 days. I have been working on Be True Brand You, meeting weekly with accountability buddies, did a 7 day coaching intensive, and just really remained consistent in blogging and being visible in Facebook groups. I think the numbers will speak for themselves this month. It has been the best one in awhile! I must say it is a great way to start the year.
Blog Me Lovely originally launched in March 2015. I was not that active nor did I put much focus on the blog and growing it. So my highest traffic month between March 2015 and September 2015 was only about 300 pageviews, with an average of about 175 pageviews a month. In October I took a step back to focus on Peace Love Sequins so it is no surprise that my traffic plummeted!
I am sharing this because when I re-launched the blog in June 2016, I was basically receiving only 15 to 20 pageviews a month, essentially starting from scratch. I am going to share with you my traffic stats, social media counts, post overview, what I learned and my goals for the upcoming month.
January 2017 Traffic Report
- Pageviews: 4,293 (+118.58%)
- Sessions: 3,628 (+150.03%)
- Users: 1,918 (+88.78%)
- Pages / Session: 1.18
- Average Session Duration: 2:56
- Adjusted Bounce Rate: 27.56%
- New Sessions: 47.13%
- Highest Traffic Day: January 24 with 348 pageviews
This month I more than doubled both my pageviews and my sessions. I think my goal to be more visible in Facebook groups as well as consistently participate in promotion threads are a big reason for this. I did not include a percent change for pages/session, average session duration, adjusted bounce rate or new sessions since last month I had a massive amount of SPAM traffic and I couldn’t isolate them. I am happy to report that I have put in the proper filters and am no longer seeing that SPAM traffic in my analytics report.
I also should mention that I actually use an adjusted bounce rate. I realize that I have not mentioned it before and have got comments on how insanely low my bounce rate is. So basically, I use a plugin that allows me to set what I classify as a bounce and this is the number reported in my Google Analytics. I have it based on time spent on page as well as if the reader scrolls down a certain percent. This gives me a much better idea of how engaged my audience is.
If you want to learn more about bounce rate in general, check out my post on Understanding Bounce Rate.
January Traffic Sources
- Social: 88.6%
- Facebook: 62.41%
- Pinterest: 19.19%
- Twitter: 11.41%
- StumbleUpon: 6.41%
- Instagram: 0.59%
- Direct: 9.2%
- Organic Search: 1.1%
- Referral: 1.1%
It is no surprise to me that social remains to be my main traffic source with Facebook dominating that category. I saw a drop in the percent share of Pinterest traffic but quite an increase from Twitter. I still need to work on a more even spread of traffic, because right now if something happens on social I could lose the majority of my traffic and that is not ideal.
Social Media Report
January Social Media Stats
- Facebook: 668 fans (+6.54%)
- Twitter: 1,045 followers (+113.70%)
- Pinterest: 765 followers (+8.97%)
- Instagram: 1,019 followers (+2.72%)
- Bloglovin’: 126 followers (+8.62%)
- Google+: 52 followers (+18.18%)
- Email Subscribers: 250 subscribers (+7.76%)
I saw growth in all social and email channels this month. I am so happy about that. For Facebook, I participated in the page like threads (not the ones that you have to like them all, but the ones that get like over a 100 entries and you pick 10 you like) as well as participated in Facebook post like threads. In addition, I started inviting the people who like my posts to like my page. I will admit I wasn’t such a fan of this technique but I think it works.
Twitter I saw tremendous growth. I am taking Triple Your Twitter by Helene and it definitely works. I use a service called Narrow to like and follow people based on certain hashtags or followers of people I choose. Now I will admit that I am not a fan of the follow/unfollow method. But I tested Narrow our for a month and I doubled my follower count, but more importantly my click through rate increased by 275%, my retweets increased by 846.15%, the likes of my posts increased by 229.85% and the replies to my tweets increases by 100%. So my engagement truly went up, not just my followers. I am going to keep testing the platform for at least one more month and see what I find. Ultimately, followers is a vanity number but I am loving the higher engagement.
I didn’t really do much for Pinterest or Instagram but be a bit more consistent. I want to focus on these platforms more.
While not a huge increase, I did see an increase in my email list as well. I am working on revamping my freebies especially the Ultimate List of Facebook Groups for Bloggers and Creative Entrepreneurs. So many groups have changed since I launched it in November. If you sign up for it, you will get notified when the update is complete too!
If you are looking for an email marketing platform, then I highly suggest ConvertKit. You can read Why I Started with ConvertKit for My Email Marketing Platform to learn about their amazing features.
Blog Post Report
- Number of New Posts: 7
- Total Posts: 46
- Post Frequency: About twice a week
Top Five Posts
- 17 Things I’m Doing for My Business is 2017
- The Difference Between Users, Sessions and Pageviews
- 10 Beautiful & Responsive WordPress Themes from Creative Market
- Why I Started with ConverKit for My Email Marketing Platform
- How to Increase Likes on Your Facebook Page (on the list last month)
January Goals – Check In
- Traffic Goals
- Reach 3,000 pageviews
- Reach 2,000 sessions
- Reach 1,500 users
- Social Media Goals
- Reach 675 Facebook fans – I ended up being 7 fans short, but so close!
Reach 525 Twitter followers– I practically doubled my Twitter following.
- Reach 800 Pinterest followers – Not quite there, but still an increase
- Reach 1,050 Instagram followers – Not quite there, but I broke 1,000 followers again.
- Reach 275 email subscribers – I did not reach this, but I still saw a little growth in this area despite not putting that much effort in it
Post at least once a week– I posted twice most weeks!
- Finish my email welcome sequence (I have already started this) – So I did absolutely no work on this one.
Rewrite my About page– I have finally updated this page after having it on the list for months! Check out my revamped About page. Get my Resources page up (I have already started this)– This is another one that has been on my list for what seems like forever that I actually finished. I share a ton of valuable tools and sites on my resources page.
What I Learned
- Consistency really is key! I believe I crushed my traffic goals and came so close to my other goals because I stayed consistent. I posted weekly, I participated in Facebook threads a few times a week, and I was just more visible in various Facebook groups almost every single day!
- Planning is a life saver. So I am actually traveling for my day job this week. That meant that I did not have my personal computer or the fonts needed to create my blog post and social media graphics. On Sunday night, I planned the three posts I wanted to write while away, created the graphics and uploaded them to WordPress and Dropbox. That way I have no excuse to get the work done. In fact, it is 11 pm in Tampa right now and I am exhausted from traveling and very little sleep, yet I am prepping this blog post. No excuses.
- The follow/unfollow method may actually work for Twitter. I am still researching this one, but I have seen a massive increase in engagement. I am loving that. I still have some refining to do, but Twitter is one of those platforms where you should be following a lot of people. So I am testing it, so you don’t have to. Once I finish my experiment I plan on writing a post about it.
- It feels amazing when you FINALLY check off the lingering items from your to do list. It feels like a HUGE weight has been lifted off my shoulders because I have finished my About page and Resources page. So happy that these are ready. Only thing left is a brand photoshoot so I am professional photos to sprinkle throughout the site.
- You can accomplish anything you set your mind to. I have been doing so much mindset work lately and learning about the law of attraction and really putting it to practice. I have never been so motivated or so sure about myself and this business. I know that I am on the right track, working with the right people and really have the right support system. It feels amazing. Nothing is more motivating than seeing your hard work pay off.
- Traffic Goals
- Reach 6,000 pageviews
- Reach 4,000 sessions
- Reach 3,000 users
- Social Media Goals
- Reach 700 Facebook fans
- Reach 1,500 Twitter followers
- Reach 850 Pinterest followers
- Reach 1,100 Instagram followers
- Reach 300 email subscribers
- Post at least twice a week
- Finish my email welcome sequence
- Finish my sales pages
- Keep up with Be True Brand You
Making progress toward your goals is really motivating. You start to see a ripple effect and your momentum just keeps building and building.
I also feel as if I have been tested this month by the universe. Like it is pushing me and asking “do you really want this?” It is crazy. There has been one thing after another, from family members being extremely sick, to health issues of my own, to having my tire blow out on the freeway and more. But I choose to think about and focus on the positive and be grateful for all I have and show that yes, this is truly what I want and I will do whatever it takes to reach my goal.
You can’t hold me back now. I am so ready to see all the goals I am going to crush in February!
What is one thing you would like to accomplish in February?